Re: frame engraver & box repeats: what's the current state-of-the-art?

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: frame engraver & box repeats: what's the current state-of-the-art?
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 11:08:55 -0600

Hi again, Kieren,

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 1:58 PM, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi David,

> Maybe there is something more up-to-date than found at the link you cite. Unfortunately, this all comes from before the days I had the wisdom to use version control with my own stuff, so I'll have to hunt around.

Thanks.

The version in the link appears to be where I left off, after which there are some experiments which led nowhere.

> I think that problems have crept into the engravers as LilyPond has changed in the meantime.  Possibly there is a quick fix, and the version you cite is workable.

I got the linked version to compile with a simple change:

Line 460 of the .ily file (function: add-grob-definition):

 (set-object-property! grob-name 'translation-type? list?)

should be

 (set-object-property! grob-name 'translation-type? ly:grob-properties?)

Another thing: if you are compiling multiple LY files, you will run into problems.  A "fix" for this is to comment out/remove lines 88-89 in define-grob-property.  The error arises because the property definition persists, so it looks like we are trying to coopt an existing property name.

Quick fixes aside, I gave up on this a long time ago, so no enhancements for the foreseeable future :)  (The archives give a record of the problems I had and couldn't solve by myself.)

Yes, I saw posts that looked problem-y.  =\

I can see sharpening the code up.  Looks a bit verbose.  Maybe then it will be easier to develop.

For now, all I need is a single staff (i.e., no span) boxer with continuation arrows that cross barlines without trouble. So maybe you (or Nike) have something that works with that, and doesn’t touch any of the more problematic areas?

The linked code with corrections should give you what you need.  It will not work with multiple staves,

David