Re: Behavior of non-flag side with strictBeatBeaming

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Behavior of non-flag side with strictBeatBeaming
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 09:06:19 +0100

Am 15.01.2016 um 08:49 schrieb Urs Liska:
>> > Actually, I'm missing a solution that looks like F) but has three
>> > beams between 2 and 3.
> I've been thinking about that too. This would somehow be like a "partial
> subdivision" where the beam count is not governed by the
> rhythmic_importance of the right note.
>
> Am I right that you want a solution that prints exactly one beam less
> than the neighboring stem with the least beams. I don't think you'd want
> to print four beams if it should happen to fall on a "1/64" subdivision?
>
> In general I think having the implicitly generated subdivision governed
> by the metric situation is a good thing, as it helps the eye knowing
> where we are. So I would prefer having yet another context option to
> control that behaviour. Any opinions whether that might be appropriate
> (to add an option for such a minor issue)?

Maybe I should not add yet another option but change the (new) option to
take a symbol

\set subdivideAtStrictBeatBeaming = subdivision % beam counts like at a
subdivision
\set subdivideAtStrictBeatBeaming = simple % print as many beams as
possible (one less than all neighbors)
\set subdivideAtStrictBeatBeaming = off

We could then discuss which of the two first options should be the default.

To make it a little clearer for people who haven't followed that closely
so far:
"subdivision" would print the result as in line F) of the
strict-beat-beaming.pdf attached earlier
"simple" would instead print three beams between stem 2 and 3 of that line.

Opinions?
Urs