Re: smallest possible bounding box

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: smallest possible bounding box
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 22:38:36 -0600

On Sun 17 Jan 2016 at 12:30:57 (+0100), Carl-Henrik Buschmann wrote:
> > 17. jan. 2016 kl. 12.22 skrev Simon Albrecht <address@hidden>:
> >
> > On 17.01.2016 12:10, Carl-Henrik Buschmann wrote:
> >>
> >> 2) I need to export pngs for my latex documents and i would like the
> >> bounding box to be as small as possible. How do i do this?
> >
> > It’s not quite clear what you want. Perhaps:
> > \paper {
> >  top-margin = 0
> >  bottom-margin = 0
> >  left-margin = 0
> >  right-margin = 0
> > }
> > ?
> >
> > Best, Simon
>
> When making snippets I dont need the entire A4 paper, i just need the music.
> The bounding box is the area exported, or cropped if you like. In Sibelius i
> can check a box and it eliminates all unnecessary white space.

Years ago, I made some snippets with PNG, and was most disappointed:
they're not crisp enough. I think I used ImageMagick (ie convert) to
trim off the white space (tagline = ##f, of course.)

I switched to PDFs and use pdfcrop to the same end. It's not as tight,
but that doesn't worry me unduly. It's the resolution that matters.
Attached is the cropped output of:

\header { tagline = ##f }
\markup { \flat }

Whether you can include PDFs in LaTeX source depends on how you
process it, of course. Currently I use \includegraphics in LuaLaTeX;
previously I have used pdflatex in the same way. (I output to PDF,
not DVI.)

Cheers,
David.