Re: Extent of hairpins

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Extent of hairpins
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 21:39:18 +0000

On Tue, 2016-01-19 at 11:30 -0500, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > But surely this will affect both ends of the hairpin.
>
> You’d think so, wouldn’t you?
> But that hasn’t been my experience.
> Try it, and let me know how it works.
>
> > Can the ends not be controlled separately?
>
> As I understand it:
>     #'X-offset will effect where the left-hand side begins
>     #'bound-padding will effect [only!?] where the right-hand side ends

I find that X-offset affects both ends - in other words, it shifts the
whole hairpin to the right of its default position by #X-offset staff
spaces.

As you say, bound-padding only apparently affects the right-hand end of
a hairpin.  I'm not sure what the units are here: they seem to be about
1/4 of a staff space.

David