Re: simplifying chromatic scale notation

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: simplifying chromatic scale notation
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 20:58:05 -0500

> On Jan 26, 2016, at 12:01 PM, Sharon Rosner <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> So you see, it's quite a straight-forward a technique. Yes, accidental
> translation can be tricky, but with practice it becomes second nature. And
> again, 300 years ago it was considered a basic skill for any musician worth
> his salt, it's just modern musicians that are handicapped.

Thanks for the examples.  I can see how this would work fine, especially for
music with fewer accidental notes and assuming proficiency in all clefs and key
signatures.

That’s interesting about the history of tablatures.  I’ve wondered whether one
reason guitar tablature has become so popular today among hobbyists is that it
more closely maps to the instrument and the process of playing it than standard
notation (which maps rather well to the piano with its black and white key
distinction).

(In some respects a system like Clairnote lies between standard notation and
tablature, providing a more direct mapping between notes on the page and how
you play them on an instrument, but without being tied to a single instrument –
so providing some of the benefits of tablature without the drawbacks.)

Cheers,
-Paul