Piano centered dynamics - dealing with bar collisions

From: Przemyslaw Pawelczyk
Subject: Piano centered dynamics - dealing with bar collisions
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 02:01:23 +0100

Hi!

There is a piano centered dynamics template that was present in
Lilypond Learning Manual for v2.14, but is not available in recent
versions:
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/learning/piano-templates

If we take it (w/o midi part, which is not needed here) and add s1 in
everything (i.e. upper, lower, dynamics, pedal) at the beginning, then
we can see that \fff overlaps the piano staff bar:
http://paste.przemoc.net/lilypond/piano-centered-dynamics/

How to make dynamic text not overlap the bar, yet shift the note
column (not sure if I'm using the correct term here) appropriately, so
the text would remain centered?

(This mostly works when \dynamics are put into particular Staff [only
mostly, because \fff remains then too close to the bar, almost
touching it], but I want to have one \dynamics in separate Dynamics
between upper and lower Staff within PianoStaff.)

My half-workaround is setting DynamicText.X-offset (which in this
particular example seems ok with value -0.3, but it doesn't work that
well in general), but then DynamicText stops being centered and
depending on width of the dynamic text, it may be almost unnoticeable
or looks awfully wrong.

I hope there are some better solutions.

Regards.

--
Przemyslaw Pawelczyk
Cross-site thinker, rookie composer, Linux apprentice