digital music editions - is Lilypond a suitable tool for it?

From: musicus
Subject: digital music editions - is Lilypond a suitable tool for it?
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 12:41:37 +0000

Dear all,
for some time I'm thinking of "digital music editions". Though printed music sheets have many advantages there are some very interesting points, which cannot be delivered by a sheet of paper.
IMO the most important reasons for digital music editions are:

    - concentrating the displayed information to the minimum while having the possibility of showing/hiding extra informations (fingerings, bows, parts, editorial annotations, own notes...)
    - you can provide different variants either as linked/ deposited image or integrated in the typesetting (for example: first editions and autographs!)

There are several approaches on this topic (such as the upcoming "HENLE library"), but until now there is nothing really usable yet and I can imagine Lilypond to gain an additional unique usecase.
I'm not able to provide the necessary extensions (svg: id's, classes?, groups) by myself, but I can present a little example of a possible application in a browser. (attached)

What do you think about it? Is anybody interested in this direction?
And mainly: is such an "enhanced" typesetting possible with Lilypond?

Best regards,
musicus