Bar number moves down inexplicably

From: David Wright
Subject: Bar number moves down inexplicably
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 20:17:13 -0600

Coincidentally with Message-ID: <address@hidden>
> It also seems to move the bar number down. Does anybody know why?
I also have a bar number which moves down for some reason.

The attached snippet shows the problem. Commenting out the \layout
with % {  →  %{ fixes the bar number but I lose my fermatas (both
cases attached).

I'm not familiar with the action of Staff_collecting_engraver,
but I have a feeling the answer/workaround might lie in the page
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/learning/outside_002dstaff-objects

Cheers,
David.