Re: More Gounod :-)

From: Alberto Simões
Subject: Re: More Gounod :-)
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2016 15:07:51 +0000

Hello,

Finally trying to review this.

On 12/12/15 06:18, Brian Barker wrote:
o It's a weird style that puts full stops other than at the end of
sentences. You have sensibly excised the full stops after the title and
the composer. It would be sensible also to lose them after "Murmurs of
regret from the troupe", "The procession", and "Return to the House".
(But you do need the full stops after "... broken" and "... refreshments".)

Decided to remove them all. I think that even the two after "broken" and "refreshments" can be dropped without big loses.

o There are many accidentals that I would parenthesise, e.g. the
naturals in bar 24 and the flat and natural in bar 26 (and many more) -
but you may want to retain the style of the original.

Yes, I will keep them as they are. I feel the whole score is already too crowded with notation, that the parenthesis might make more confusion than help.

o The slur from the C-sharp in bar 23 to the D in bar 24 fails to appear
at all in the new system. (The identical one between bars 109 and 110 is
how it should look.)

Fortunately, forcing the music to be in four pages solved the issue without I needing to learn how to do it :-)

o Shouldn't the grace note in bar 53 be slurred to its adjacent D, not
to the lower F-sharp? (This occurs also in bars 57, 69, 85, 89, and 90.)

I think I fixed them all.

o The dynamics surely do not follow standard practice? The forte in bar
54 continues to apply in bar 55 without being repeated. Is this meant to
represent sforzando? This also applies to the forte in bar 87, the
pianissimos in bars 95, 97, and 99, and the ppp in bar 139: they all
apply without being stated. But again you may wish to preserve the style
of the original.

Indeed, not sure why those repetitions. Will keep with the original.

Further suggestions and corrections are welcome.

https://github.com/ambs/music/blob/master/Gounod/FuneralMarchOfAMarionette/march.pdf

Thank you,
Alberto