Re: tie behavior

From: bill wolf
Subject: Re: tie behavior
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 04:17:47 -0400 (EDT)

My apologies, but that's terrible!  Thanks for pointing that out, David.  Let me
try, again:

\version "2.18.2"

\relative c'' {

  \new Staff <<
    \new Voice { \voiceOne c8 e~ \once \hideNotes \once \override
                       NoteColumn.force-hshift
                       = #-1.2 e4 g8 d'~ \once \hideNotes d4 }
    \new Voice { \voiceTwo c,4~ <c e g>8 \override TieColumn.tie-configuration =
                       #'((2.0 . -1) (5.0 . 1)) e~ <e g>4~ <e g d'> }

}

I sent a test to myself, which was pretty good.  Hopefully, it's legible on your
end.

I used two voices to control the directions of the beams while building triads.
 One could say that i wrote out the finger pedalling.  The problem is that i've
never been able to figure out is how to get a tie to go between the same note in
two different voices.  This is why, in voiceOne, i would tie a note over, hide
it, and then shift it until the tie looked like it belonged to the same note in
voiceTwo.

The other problem is to get notes tied between chords in a single voice
(voiceTwo, here) to go in different directions.  I managed to do that by
overriding the behavior of TieColumn.tie-configuration.

Well, the code i've written works around the first problem while solving the
second.  i'm wondering if there is a more elegant way of doing this.

Thank you, again!
bill

> Good Lilyponders,
>
> The code below achieves my goals. I'm wondering if it could be done more
> simply.
>
> \version "2.18.2"
>
> \relative c'' {
>

> \new Staff <<
>
> \new Voice { \voiceOne c8 e~ \once \hideNotes \once \override
> NoteColumn.force-hshift = #-1.2 e4 g8 d'~ \once \hideNotes d4 }
> \new Voice { \voiceTwo c,4~ 8 \override TieColumn.tie-configuration =
> #'((2.0 . -1) (5.0 . 1)) e~ 4~  }
>

> }

That's not particularly readable because of HTML just wrapping text, and
you do not even include a text version. Please try to send plain text
mails rather than HTML: that's more appropriate for source code.

You also fail to mention what your goals are.

> The only more specific thing I can add is that I almost always prefers
> ties in the middle of triads to go up.

So what exactly is the problem and what exactly are your goals?

--
David Kastrup