Re: Lilypond error behaviour

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Lilypond error behaviour
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 10:49:07 -0400

Hi David,

> Except that the premise of this thread was that users […]
> want to be able to deduce the presence of errors from the existence of output
> files.

Ah… sorry, I didn’t get that that was the premise.

> So it pretty much doesn't matter what we write on the console: it's not
> acceptable for LilyPond to produce any file in case of a syntax error.

Agreed, if that’s actually what’s on the table.

I personally read all errors AND check the output (AND up the log level, if I
can’t find the problem that way)… but I know that isn’t true of all users. I
did find it a bit disconcerting when I first noticed version number problems
outputting fatal errors… but I quickly got over it without ultimately caring
too much either way.

Maybe this thread is just a sign that Lilypond is becoming a victim of its own
“success" (however limited that may be, relatively speaking).

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info