Re: Gaps in lyrics

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Gaps in lyrics
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 09:17:56 -0700 (MST)

Tim,

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 10:12 AM, Tim Slattery [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm setting a song with two verses. It's a madrigal, so there are
fairly long stretches of "fa la la..." that are identical in the two
verses. I'd like to have them "fa la la" part printed only once.

So...I've set verse one with all the words, including "fa la la".
That's fine. I'd like to have verse two show only the different words,
and leave a space where the "fa la la" is.

But I can't figure out how to tell Lily to not match word to the
stretch of notes that correspond to the "fa la la" for the second
verse.

It looks like I could use \skip ... but I'd have to have one for each
note to be skipped. Is there a way to tell Lilypond how many notes or
measures to skip?

Yes, use \skip. However, the duration you give it is not important--it will still skip just one syllable. So, use

\repeat unfold N { \skip 4 }

where N is the number of syllables to skip.

Next time, please provide a small compilable example of what you are trying so we have something to go off. Thanks!

HTH,
Abraham