Re: error: can't allocate region - layout block?

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: error: can't allocate region - layout block?
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 23:03:11 +0200

We should keep this on the list, unless real private things are mentioned.
Others may chime in with good ideas and it's of interest for all I think.
Huge projects like yours are always difficult to discuss on a
mailinglist, but it already happened that some bugs only occured in
such huge projects.

> 2) Not so clear… Means that I have to put the same time signature to all the
> staves?
>
>> I'd use a global-variable for that.
> Not clear at all… Sorry…

For large/huge projects I'd define a global voice, containing changes
of time-signature and other stuff, which should be shared for all
Staffs.

Right now you basically do:

mI = {
  \time 12/8
  c''1.

  \time 3/4
  d''2.

}

mII = {
  e''1.

  f''2.

}

<<
  \new Staff \mI
  \new Staff \mII

Ofcourse this is fine at first glance, but when problems needs to be
tracked down you can't compile it this way:
<<
  %\new Staff \mI
  \new Staff \mII

Without getting warnings. In a huge project there will be wagonloads
of warnings, obfuscating anything else.

Thus:

global = {
  \time 12/8
  s1.
  \time 3/4
  s2.
}

mIa = {
  c''1.

  d''2.

}

mIIa = {
  e''1.

  f''2.

}

<<
  \new Staff << \global \mIa >>
  \new Staff << \global \mIIa >>

Now you can comment every Staff without getting warnings (about
barcheck failed).
Makes life much easier ;)

Cheers,
  Harm