Re: Multi-measure rests and mark collisions ...

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Multi-measure rests and mark collisions ...
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 00:04:04 +0000

On 4/26/16 3:56 PM, "Thomas Morley" <address@hidden> wrote:

>> On 25/04/16 05:31, David Wright wrote:
>>> (I still don't know what you're trying to accomplish
>>> [...])
>>>
>> Copy "House Style", maybe?
>> And the whole point of this entire thread has been about
>> SAVING VERTICAL SPACE - it's just plain butt-ugly for markup to stack
>> vertically when a slight shift sideways could save lines - plus there's
>> the high price I put on page turns that could be saved by reclaiming
>> that wasted space.
>

>Anyway, you seem to want multiple texts applied to a the same BarLine.
>These texts shouldn't be stacked vertically but horizontally, right?

I think that the desired functionality is to allow markups to be loosely
tied to notes, so that if possible, they can shift horizontally some
amount instead of shifting vertically to avoid collisions.

That is, there could potentially be a shift in both X and Y to avoid
collisions, and the shift with the least badness is the one that is chosen
-- perhaps it's one line up in Y and two lines left in X, or something
similar.

If we had some facility for doing such a movement, then it would be
relatively straightforward to assign penalties for taking up more vertical
space, along with penalties for moving horizontally away from the desired
home point.  And we'd choose the layout with the lowest penalty.

But right now, as far as I know, we have no such facility.  I believe that
right now, we horizontally space the music elements to avoid collisions,
and then we vertically shift the outside-staff grobs to avoid collisions,
and then we space the skylined staves to achieve the desired spacing.  And
there's nothing in this algorithm that lets us simultaneously vertically
AND horizontally shift the outside-staff grobs.

Such a feature would be cool to add.  But it's not trivial in any sense of
the word, given the current LilyPond spacing architecture, as I understand
it.

Carl