Re: Choice of pitch input mode

From: Caio Giovaneti de Barros
Subject: Re: Choice of pitch input mode
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 17:52:16 -0300

 On 4/29/16 7:27 AM, "Carl Sorensen" <address@hidden> wrote:
About a year ago, Kieren indicated that he has decided to go completely
absolute mode, even to the point
of redoing his historic code:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2015-04/msg00846.html

I was not aware of Kieren's opinion, but after my last work on Lilypond I'm arriving at almost the same conclusion. At least for music that works outside the tonal (and in a way also modal) paradigm of pitch ranges and intervals it is preferable to use absolute mode almost always. What a pain it is to write, say, a line by Webern in relative mode. And if you make a mistake along the way (and you will make it) you have to be prepared to hunt the right note to correct the octave next. At least with Frescobaldi you can click on the pdf viewer and it puts your cursor directly where you want, which is awesome.

I find his arguments interesting.  And if I were engraving things as
complex as his, I might also move to absolute.

But I am working on simple, short, pieces.  The longest I have done to
this point is about 8 pages.
For my use case, the convenience of less typing (and to be fair, not
having to worry about the octave
I'm using) overrides the inconvenience of the occasional octave mistake.

So I use relative.

I do believe that at the end this is a choice the engraver has to make based on the type of music she or he is working with. Many decisions in code organization comes down to convenience, your habits and comfort, but just like music engraving in general there are good practices to make your work more productive, and if you need to be read and understood by others, this is even more critical.