Re: \hideNotes and MIDI

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: \hideNotes and MIDI
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 07:06:04 +0200 (CEST)

>> shouldn't \hideNotes also suppress music output to the MIDI file?
>
> Why?  \hide\ff is nice for inserting MIDI-only instructions.

Mhmm.  Given that it actually makes the corresponding object only
transparent, thus influencing the typesetting process, I wouldn't call
that `MIDI-only'.

> \hideNotes allows one to have ties work "across" voices.

I use \hideNotes to provide better positioned ties emulating `laissez
vibrer ties'.

> You won't get accurate MIDI without actually making use of the
> hidden notes for similar reasons.

For my use case, I don't want to hear those notes at all...

>> Right now, it doesn't...
>
> I don't see that we'll get to a good MIDI rendition that way.
> \hideNotes is employed in situations where certain stuff only works
> in a single Voice, and that problem tends to be similar in MIDI and
> PDF.

OK, so is there an alternative, except using tags?  Something like a
\midiOnly command?

    Werner