Re: Open Sound control?

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Open Sound control?
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 00:34:26 -0500

On Mon 15 Aug 2016 at 18:10:03 (+0200), address@hidden wrote:

>     D> I've googled around for a file format, but all I find are
>     D> applications and program fragments. OK, an application might be
>     D> able to store an OSC protocol stream in a file, but that does not
>     D> make that a file format.
>
> OSC has no more need for a special file format than does my TODO list.
>
> The question was whether OSC could be useful with LY, which it surely
> would be.

That was question 1.

Question 2 was "Can one save osc files like MIDI files?"

If one can save OSC files like MIDI files, could you please send me
one, and some instructions on how to play it.

> Esp. compared to MIDI, where any notation quality apart from
> delta-time, coarse pitch values and dynamics are eraded.

It's a bit premature for me to try to compare the protocols or the
formats as I have no experience with OSC, only MIDI.

I have plenty of MIDI files, and to play them I type
timidity <filename>
or
audacious <filename>
(The latter uses a plug-in.)