Re: Crescendos and melismas break \partcombine?

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: Crescendos and melismas break \partcombine?
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 18:08:56 -0500

On 8/23/2016 1:44 PM, David Wright wrote:
Could you not put the dynamics in a separate context? That also
has the advantage of allowing you to place them between the staves
for the organist and above the stave for the singers (so as not to
interfere with the lyrics).

That seems to fix it! I never used that technique before, and had to look it up: http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/expressive-marks-attached-to-notes#dynamics All my projects are A Cappella works, so no concerns here about keyboard users and centering dynamics between staves.

Mind you, I don't have a lot of experience here as I use the English
style of hymnal, with tails up/down/up/down, as it's much clearer when
the rhythms get more complex.

And some days, I wonder if that would be the way to go - odd voice stems up and even voice stems down, rather than battling \partcombine in all my projects. ("Okay folks, here's your new sheet music... What? Oh yes, the stems. This has about twice as many stems as what you are used to. Trust me, it is easier this way.") Maybe no one would notice. Or maybe they would LIKE it...

What happens if you put the dynamics in only, say, the soprano part?

Dynamics in only one part also de-combines them. I started out that way, and moved towards keeping the parts as near-alike as possible so \partcombine would have fewer reasons to separate them. But the one-part-only melismas defeated that effort.

Thanks again! Updated example below, for future reference.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA

% BEGIN LILYPOND CODE
\version "2.18.2"
Soprano = \relative c' {
   e4 f g a b c d e
   e, f g a b8( d8) c4 d e
   e, f g a b8( d8) c4 d e
}

Alto = \relative c' {
   c4 d e f g a b c
   c, d e f g a b c
   c, d e f g a b c
}

% By having dynamics in a separate context,
% \partcombine will not be interrupted when a crescendo
% covers melismas that are not shared by both parts.
Dyn = {
  s4 s s \cresc s s s \f s s
  s s s \cresc s s s \f s s
  \repeat unfold 8 s4
}

\score {
  <<
  \new Staff = "sopranoalto" { << \partcombine \Soprano \Alto >> }
  \new Dynamics { \Dyn }

}
% END LILYPOND CODE