Re: No readline in scheme-sandbox

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: No readline in scheme-sandbox
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 17:44:05 +0200

> On Wed, 2016-10-19 at 13:59 +0100, David Sumbler wrote:

>> > Did you compile LilyPond yourself?
>> (There is an error in my previous email: I have Lilypond v.2.19.48)
>>
>> I downloaded lilypond-2.19.48-1.linux-64.sh from http://lilypond.org/
>> de
>> velopment.html and then ran
>>
>> sudo sh ./lilypond-2.19.48-1.linux-64.sh --doc
>>
>> David
>
> Sorry to keep banging on about this, but I can't help feeling that
> somebody must know the answer!
>
> My .guile file reads:
>
> (use-modules (ice-9 readline))
> (activate-readline)
>
> I find the following:
>
> 1)
>
> If I run 'lilypond scheme-sandbox' I get a message saying:
>
> /usr/local/lilypond/usr/share/lilypond/current/ly/scheme-
> sandbox.ly:3:2: error: GUILE signaled an error for the expression
> beginning here
> #
>  (load-user-init)
> readline is not provided in this Guile installation
>
> In 'top' I can see that the actual running command is
> '/usr/local/lilypond/usr/bin/lilypond scheme-sandbox'.
>
> 2)
>
> If I run '/usr/local/lilypond/usr/bin/lilypond scheme-sandbox' directly
> from the command line, I get guile complete with readline.
>

> This doesn't actually matter too much now that I have discovered that
> the longer form of the command works as expected, even though the
> shorter one doesn't.
>
> But how is it that I get different results from two command line
> entries which end up running the same actual command?
>
> David

Hi David,

I had a look in scheme-sandbox.ly. I quote the entire file:

%%%% file begin

\version "2.16.0"

#(load-user-init)

% This loads the user's .guile file for interactive sessions.
% One typical thing you might want to put there is
% (use-modules (ice-9 readline))
% (activate-readline)
% in order to activate command line editing for interactive sessions.
% You need libreadline support and the respective Guile module to be
% installed for that.  In Debian, for example, this is part of the
% guile-1.8-libs package.  Depending on your system and version, the
% requirements may be different.

#(newline)
#(scm-style-repl)

%%%% file end

So silly question: do you have the guile-1.8-libs package?

Cheers,
  Harm