Re: Distance between Lyrics and Dynamics context

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Distance between Lyrics and Dynamics context
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 12:22:37 -0500

Hi Urs,

> I want to have everything starting from "1. Satz - 7 Stücke" to be
> closer to the upper line with the "T  DD" - as can be seen in the new
> attachment. The upper is implemented as a Lyrics context, the lower as
> Dynamics.
>
> A complication is that there is a second Dynamics context between those
> two, which is empty in the first system (and contains some material . So
> I only want to raise the lower context in the first system.

This, I think, is related to a long-standing request I have: upper spacing
parameters. As far as I can tell, Lily only has parameters for the space that
FOLLOWS a context (with the obvious exception of nonstaff-relatedstaff spacing
when staff-affinity is not #DOWN) — but I often want to set (e.g.) a padding
value for a certain staff, regardless of what appears above it (e.g., in a
frenched score).

I end up just manipulating these kind of things using the edition engraver —
that would be my suggestion in this case — but I’m intruiged to hear how you
end up solving it.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer