Re: New LilyPond website

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: New LilyPond website
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2016 04:06:53 +0000

Dunno quite, but I gather you have far more experience in this area.

To me, a good web developer is someone with the technical skill of a computer
programmer and the creativity and "style sense" of a graphic designer. I think
people with those skill sets are rare indeed if they take kindly to being told
how to do their own work in somebody else's way, and how and why their
preferred methods are unsuitable for the job at hand. Couldn't offering a
mentor leave the impression that the LilyPond community thinks they don't know
their stuff?

This reminds me of a story from the early days of Drake Software, a major
player in the USA income tax preparation market. Warren Drake, son of Phil the
founder says, "We found it was much easier to take tax accountants and teach
them computer programming than it was to take computer programmers and teach
them about taxes." Maybe there's a parallel here: how about having the
lilypond.org web development done by a current LilyPond documentation
contributor (if any can be spared for the work) rather than trying to have an
accomplished web developer learn the intricacies of the LilyPond documentation
system? Or, maybe that is the current situation?
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA