Re: Photoscore

From: karl
Subject: Re: Photoscore
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2016 11:46:58 +0100 (CET)

David Kastrup:
> And indeed the externally attached drive (via USB) was named /dev/sda
> while the internal drive the Linux rescue environment booted from was
> /dev/sdb.  So this time round the root disk system not being able to
> mount stuff on /dev/sda* had more than one reason.
>
> But I was surprised that a USB-connected drive (even though connected at
> bootup time) was listed before the internal mSATA one.  Without checking
> via fdisk prior to starting the copy I would indeed have assumed the
> reverse.

The kernel seem to prefer random assignment of scsi devices, at least
they don't want a scheme like we was used to in the /dev/hda days,
where there was a direct connection between the device name (or rather
maj/min. numbers) and the bus/id.

I call it "automatically wrong".

Fix it by using
 older kernel
 not loading usb-storage at boot time
 usign some udev-scheme with uuid or something

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

Aspö Data
Lilla Aspö 148