Re: exchange LyricHyphen with a "proper" hyphen

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: exchange LyricHyphen with a "proper" hyphen
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2016 23:33:28 +0100

On 2016-12-11 17:24, Knut Petersen wrote:
Am 11.12.2016 um 09:05 schrieb Simon Albrecht:
Sorry to ask so bluntly, but can it really be that simple? I thought a
solution must consider the x-extent of the syllable vs. the melisma as
well…

I think this is sufficiently easy to handle with the scheme callback. That might not necessarily be the most performant or elegant solution, but it works well. I guess one reason is that extenders do not interfere with horizontal spacing, and the x-extents can be readily read from the stencil; otherwise, we'd have to spend way more effort.

As you can see from 0001-Better-lyric-extender-handling.patch it needs
one more change,
and and automatic solution (don't write "__" but get extenders where
they are needed)
requires the scheme code by Alexander.

But at the moment I think this is all that is needed, and yes, it seems
to be that simple.

IIUC (I didn't compile it in), your patch inhibits extenders on a single note, correct? Is that really what we want unconditionally, or are there reasonable use cases where one might want to have an extender printed after a single note?

Second: Did you test with broken extenders? Like
{ c1 d \break e f } \addlyrics { c de __ _ f }? Asking because there should be an extender for "de" across the break despite the fact that both the d and e are "alone" on that line. Such an extender may never be killed.

Other than that, I have no worries about your changes - but as I said, I didn't compile.

Cheers,
Alexander