Re: Any idea what this error message means?

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Any idea what this error message means?
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2016 23:02:41 -0600

On Thu 15 Dec 2016 at 20:32:47 (+0100), Jean Brefort wrote:
> Le jeudi 15 décembre 2016 à 19:16 +0000, Peter Toye a écrit :
> > As far as I can tell, all I did was move a few files into different
> > directories. And I am now getting this message when it tries to
> > convert the PS file to PDF. The PS file is is still on the disk and
> > looks OK. Any idea what it means and how I can get my output back?
> >
> > Layout output to `All night.ps'...
> > Converting to `./All night.pdf'...
> > warning: `(gs -q -dNOSAFER -dDEVICEWIDTHPOINTS=595.28
> > -dDEVICEHEIGHTPOINTS=841.89 -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dNOPAUSE
> > -dBATCH -r1200 -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=./All night.pdf
> > -c.setpdfwrite -fAll night.ps)' failed (1)
> > fatal error: failed files: "D:/Peter/Music/Lilypond/Gurney/All
> > night/Gsharpm/All night.ly"
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Peter
> > mailto:address@hidden
> > www.ptoye.com
> >
> The white space inside the file name might be the issue. On *nix the
> command would fail because of that, white spaces need to be escape.

Debian's 2.18.2 passes this whitespace test just fine, below.
2.19 avoids part of the potential problem by using a nonce PS filename.

At first glance, it looks as if the problem might be caused by the
last line of lilypond/usr/bin/ps2pdfwr which looks like:

exec "$GS_EXECUTABLE" $OPTIONS -q -P- -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite
-sstdout=%stderr "-sOutputFile=$outfile" $OPTIONS -c .setpdfwrite -f "$infile"

What does the Windows version have here?

$ lilypond space\ in\ filename.ly
GNU LilyPond 2.18.2
Processing `space in filename.ly'
Parsing...
space in filename.ly:1: warning: no \version statement found, please add

\version "2.18.2"

for future compatibility
Interpreting music...[8][16]
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Finding the ideal number of pages...
Fitting music on 1 page...
Drawing systems...
Layout output to `space in filename.ps'...
Converting to `./space in filename.pdf'...
Success: compilation successfully completed
$

Cheers,
David.