Re: Better slashed graces

From: Gilberto Agostinho
Subject: Re: Better slashed graces
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 04:19:09 -0700 (MST)

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your reply!

Andrew Bernard wrote
> You may not be aware of my detailed work on slashed beams and slashed
> stems
> that I recently contributed to openlilylib. Theres a function that
> provides
> fine control over the parameters of beam slashes, and which works on the
> left as well as the right (needed for many contemporary scores).

Indeed I was not aware of your work -- actually, this is the first time I am
using openlilylib. That library is quite amazing!

> I think you have somewhat different use case to me - I needed individual
> control finely tuned, but is it that you want the function to
> automatically
> compute a variable angle but based on some beam criteria?

Indeed. I had a look at your slashes, and of course your solution is very
powerful when you need fine control, but what I was looking for was simply a
solution that takes care of it automatically. For my own scores, these
functions I adapted here work very well (in particular because I tend to
force the beam of grace groups to be horizontal on my own compositions, so
my slashes are consistently in the correct position).

> I am sure something like that could be added to my code. The code I have
> submitted has been pretty heavily tested, and apart from anything else,
> has
> some lovely trigonometry!

If you have the interest in creating some snippets for automatic slash using
your functions, that would be great of course, and I am sure me or other
people will find use for it! But as of now, as I said, this here suits me
very well, and I am not good enough with Scheme to try adapting your
solution. When I asked for help with the bug in my function, I was not
really looking for "improvements" to the results itself but rather some help
to create a conditional for a specific case (grace notes without beam) which
was giving me an error, and now that David has spotted the issue and sent me
a solution it's all working fine for me.

Take care!
Gilberto