Re: Is there a short way of forcing a particular octave?

From: ptoye
Subject: Re: Is there a short way of forcing a particular octave?
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 02:39:43 -0700 (MST)

David Wright wrote
> The whole point about the way that chords work is that:
> Within the chord, \relative is local to the chord,
> Between chords (and solitary notes), \relative controls the top notes.

Not exactly, I think. In a chord \relative controls the first note as typed.
That's only the top note if you enter chords from the top down. I usually do
it the other way - bottom up.

I really didn't mean to start a theological discussion about how one should
type in music, but obviously some people feel much stronger about it than I
do. There are three ways of telling LilyPond what the pitch of a particular
note should be, and it/'s up to the user to try them out and decide which
one suits him and the particular piece best. For me, it's mostly \relative,
but the melodies usually don't move by much. If I were Webern, it would
be\absolute.

Peter