Re: MultiMeasureRest symbol spacing

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: MultiMeasureRest symbol spacing
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 11:01:34 -0600

Hi Jan-Peter,

On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 5:52 AM, Jan-Peter Voigt <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> in my current scores I have to deal with a lot of MultiMeasureRests. I am
> facing the following layout-problem:
>
> If there is one line filled with (for example) a three measure long mm-rest
> (and maybe one bar with a few cue-notes) the measure-symbol consisting of
> two or the rectangles is spreading quite widely:
>
> %%%%%
> \paper {
>   ragged-last = ##f
> }
> { \compressFullBarRests R1*3 }
> %%%%%
>
> (mmrest1.png)
>
> But I would like to space it like in mmrest2.png, the default spacing.
>
> I looked for an override, but didn't find one suitable.
> Anybody knows how to deal with it?

The default is actually to allow the components of the church rest to
expand to fill the available space within the measure.  The symbols
making up the rest are assigned a padding value proportional to the
visual size of the measure.

I think what you're after is some means to limit this expansion.  I've
attached a patch which creates a property ("no-stretch") which keeps
internal padding at its minimum value -- 1 staff space.  Note also the
test file.  I haven't tested it beyond what you see there.

It might be nice to allow a maximum padding.  (I find 1.0 for padding
a little close.)  That would be easily done.

Sorry that this is a patch you need to apply.  Putting this in Scheme
would require extensive recoding.

HTH,
David