Re: shapeII debugging

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: shapeII debugging
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 19:13:14 -0600

On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 6:55 PM, Andrew Bernard
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On 24 December 2016 at 07:42, David Nalesnik <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>>

>> Oh, that wasn't clear.  Patch LilyPond with what of \shapeII works;
>> keep the function as-is in openlilylib.
>

> Essential. I depend on the (h x x) function hugely in my code. [And it works
> fine for me, so this is an interesting issue.]

Much of \shapeII could be included, but the (h x x) function is
broken.  I've noticed the problem too. (I may have mentioned this in
review comments on GitHub.)

There's a statement in the Contributor's Guide about rejecting broken
code on principle. So, I'm simply proposing that, should someone want
to put forward a patch, they should remove the problematic parts.  The
(h x x) would be in openlilylib, usable to anyone, and LilyPond proper
can be updated when it's fixed.

Like Simon, I fear that the notehead-alignment stuff will be difficult
to tackle, and we shouldn't hold up improving LilyPond against the
possibly remote day when the issue is fixed.

Best,
David