Re: Vertical placement of title, tempo, segno

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Vertical placement of title, tempo, segno
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 10:24:24 +0100

Andrew Bernard <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi David,
>
> Well the NR says:
>
> "...
> This is accomplished with the \tweak command, which has the following
> syntax:
>
> \tweak [layout-object.]grob-property value
>
> Specifying layout-object is optional. The \tweak command applies to the
> music object that immediately follows value in the music stream.
> ..."
>
> Is that not omitting the layout-object?

Its name.  Maybe we should spell it LayoutObject to reflect the usual
spelling conventions for it, even though it is just a stand-in?

At any rate, I was actually rather thinking of the "music object that
immediately follows value in the music string".  Specifying the
layout-object at all only became possible with 2.16 or so: previously
something like

\tweak Accidental.color #red cis

was not possible: you either had to color the notehead or use \once
\override (which does not work on individual accidentals in a chord).

So "I wasn't aware that you could omit the layout-object" seems like a
neologism to me.  Could not have happened 6 years ago.

--
David Kastrup