Re: Permission for music

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: Permission for music
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 09:01:22 -0700

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 02:35:57PM +0200, Manuela Gößnitzer wrote:
> IMSLP hosts only free scores, the composer must have been deceased for more
> than 70 years.

It's not that simple at all.  IMSLP has music that is copyrighted and relies
on the downloader to not break copyright laws.

For example, I can download the score for the R. Vaughan Williams tuba
concerto.  He died 59 years ago and the concerto was written 63 years ago.
I can legally use that score for performance in Mexico and China but not in
Britain.

Paul