Re: Chords in LilyPond

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: Re: Chords in LilyPond
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 13:49:52 +0200

Am 2017-05-25 um 16:46 schrieb address@hidden:

> Request for "rootless slash chords" from 2014 but brought up in a thread
> here last month:
>  https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/3909/
> The discussion on that issue assumes that the user will enter something
> like
>  \chordmode { c c/e c/g }
> to get the desired output of
>  C /E /G
> with LilyPond doing some kind of translation to not show roots when there's
> a slash, but what would make sense would be for the user to enter
>  \chordtext { c /e /g }
> and get
>  C /E /G
> That would be easy by directly printing the input with only formatting
> translations (I am counting the lowercase to uppercase conversion as
> formatting) and much harder with an attempt to go to notes and back in
> between.

Hm, if I write manually, I use this notation (slash, subscript uppercase letter)
for single bass notes (bass lines).
AFAIK LilyPond’s chordmode can’t handle these.
Is there some standard way to denote bass lines between chords?

> Request for "alt" notation for chords:
>  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2017-02/msg00644.html
> Here a chord symbol *does not correspond to a fixed set of notes*; it's
> deliberately leaving a choice for the performer, making any translation to
> notes and back difficult.  The thread includes a suggested "solution" of
>  \chords {
>    \once\override ChordName.Text = \markup { G \super { 7 alt } }
>    g:7^5
>  }
> but it sure would be easier to just type
>  \chordtext { G7alt }

I would manually write C/a if I want to let the player chose between c major
and a minor.
(Lowercase letters for minor chords needed a while to be possible with
LilyPond, but they are.)

Greetlings, Hraban
---
fiëé visuëlle