Re: quoteDuring with lyrics

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: quoteDuring with lyrics
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 15:37:41 -0400

Hi Carl (et al.),

> Even though I think like a programmer, I have found that the extra
> fragmentation of code caused by using notes in variables is in many cases
> worse that redundant note typing.

I agree. That's why I'm hoping to maximize the possibility of quotation (as
opposed to abstraction) mechanisms. Code like

  sop = {
    c''4 4 4 4
    d''4 4 4 4
    e''4 4 4 4
  }
  \addQuote #"sop" \sop

  alt = {
    \quoteDuring #"sop" s1
    c'4 4 4 4
    \quoteDuring #"sop" s1
  }

seems more intuitive, transparent, and maintainable than

  sharedA = { c''4 4 4 4 }
  sharedB = { e''4 4 4 4 }

  sop = {
    \sharedA
    d''4 4 4 4
    \sharedB
  }

  alt = {
    \sharedA
    c'4 4 4 4
    \sharedB
  }

> If the variables have specific meaning (e.g. phraseOne, bridge, phraseTwo)
> then it might be worth using.  But I always struggle a bit about how to
> balance this the best in my usage.

Me, too. Frescobaldi helps some with this (but I *do* wish there were an option
to "click on score takes me to the context, not the definition").

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info