Re: Place text next to rehearsal mark, or with left edge over barline if

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: Place text next to rehearsal mark, or with left edge over barline if there is none
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 22:21:56 +0100

On 13/07/17 20:55, David Wright wrote:
> On Tue 11 Jul 2017 at 09:08:07 (-0400), Kieren MacMillan wrote:
>> Hi Wol,
>>
>>> I've seen music - not much admittedly - that actually writes crotchets
>>> as tied to a semi-quaver or something on the next beat in order to say
>>> "this one-beat note is one beat, not a fraction of a beat!"
>>
>> The only composers I know of who did that as a rule are late 19th Century
>> and early 20th Century British composers (my experience in that area being
>> mostly choral). I must admit, it's quite confusing when you first encounter
>> that notation!
>
> This was discussed in the thread
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-11/msg00752.html
>
> There's an equivalent notation in barbershop where people write
> lyric extenders on notes that don't require them, which is a
> pain to reproduce in LP.
>
> <<
>   { \set Score.proportionalNotationDuration = #(ly:make-moment 1 8)
>     a'1 a'16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 }
>   \addlyrics { x __ y z x y z … }
>>>

> BTW I was tidying up some download directories and came across
> the attached. It or the link might have been posted by one of you,
> but it shows the kind of compromises made when printing band
> music with no page turns. Navigating during rehearsals must be
> interesting.

Actually, because the pieces are quite short, it's not a problem. This
one is slightly atypical, it's got a short repeated first section, and
then a long unrepeated trio.

I think they tend to be intro, repeated first section, repeated second
section, trio may or may not be repeated in one or two sections, da capo
straight through no repeats.

So playing time can be quite long, typically 3 to 5 minutes, but the
piece doesn't have that many, or long, sections and the conductor just
says "first repeated section", "trio", or whatever.

Cheers,
Wol