Re: Manual syllable durations questions

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Manual syllable durations questions
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 17:30:04 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Menu Jacques <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hello folks,
>>
>> I’m trying to obtain a second score identical to the first one in the
>> example below, without using \lyricsto and with syllables having their
>> duration attached to them, but no way.
>>
>> How can that be done?
>
> _ is a syllable of its own,
>
> lyricsWithDurations = \lyricmode {
>   "do"1 __ _2 _ |
>   "fa"1
> }

Well, actually the point of explicit durations is _not_ to have to track
every melisma, so you'd likely enter this rather as

%%%%%%%%%%%%
melody = \relative {
  c'1 d2 e2 |
  f1
}

lyricsWithoutDurations = \lyricmode {
  "do" __ _ _ |
  "fa"
}

lyricsWithDurations = \lyricmode {
  "do"1*2 __ |
  "fa"1
}

<<
  \new Staff <<
    \context Voice = "melody" <<
      \melody

    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "melody" {
      \lyricsWithoutDurations
    }

<<
  \new Staff <<
    \context Voice = "melody" <<
      \melody

    \new Lyrics \with { associatedVoice = "melody" } {
      \lyricsWithDurations
    }

(1*2 as a template is a bit more flexible than \breve which would
achieve the same job in this case but would not extend to stuff like
1*5/2 easily).

--
David Kastrup