Re: How to control spacing between scores in a bookpart?

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: How to control spacing between scores in a bookpart?
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2017 01:41:08 +0200

Hi Stephen,

first of all: please keep conversation on-list, except if privacy is actually necessary.

On 22.07.2017 23:49, Stephen Nesbitt wrote:
I actually did see the score-system-spacing in the flexible-vertical-spacing-paper at http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/flexible-vertical-spacing-paper-variables, but was unable to get it to work - or more accurately - get it to do anything.

I tried again adding score-system-spacing.basic-distance = 10\cm to the \paper block and now its working. I suspect that I don't really understand what a staff-space is and the values I used didn't result in any change. Changing to centimeters did something.

Did ‘something’? Did it actually insert 10 cm of space?
Maybe try again without the \cm, but with a (ridiculously) large number like 50 to see if it actually does anything. Staff-spaces, the distance between two normal staff-lines, are the basic measuring unit in LilyPond. This allows scaling everything along with the music.

Also note that I think there is a typo in the example given with the update one key-value example shown as *system-system-spacing.basic-distance = #8*. Shouldn't it be *score-system-spacing.basic-distance = #8?*

system-system-spacing is a thing as well, and all those flexible vertical spacing properties work basically the same, only with different values.

HTH, Simon