Re: Video generation on linux systems: Note and rests change color

From: Knut Petersen
Subject: Re: Video generation on linux systems: Note and rests change color
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2017 10:56:15 +0200

Hi Karlin!

I got some font errors during the lilypond compile: "warning: no glyph
for character U+9F in font [...] ./texgyreschola- [*]" (Square brackets
with placeholders for brevity.) Looks my setup is choking on the German
ß sharp-S thing.

Lilypond handles utf-8 characters, and the texgyre fonts include those
characters.
Your font setup seems to be seriously broken.

Hmm... if everything else is the same after patching, any chance this
could be included in the standard lilypond code? Or maybe that's what
you have in mind, and just want more people to try it out first? I think
this would be a great feature to have standard.

Yes: It would be nice if lilypond could produce videos.

No: I don't think that this code should be part of lilypond. Although it works
pretty
well for me I have to admit that it is a hackish solution of a problem I had.
Maybe
it would be a good idea to introduce some additional hooks into lilypond that
would
eliminate the need to patch lilypond. But contributing code to lilypond is
complex
and time-consuming.

All the dependencies, though... might be a bit much to include in the
standard lilypond setup?

Yes.

And it turns out Debian does not have usleep but rather sleepenh. I
ended up doing...

ln -s /usr/bin/sleepenh /usr/bin/usleep

Thanks for reporting.

Is there a way to set a path for the patched lilypond when running the
mkvideo script? Or a definition to edit somewhere? I looked around a
little in the mkvideo code, but my limited bash script skills didn't
pick anything up.

Patching some scm/ps files definitely does not change the lilypond binary.
No need to change  PATH.

If you want to keep separate set of patched and unpatched files you could use
 "lilypond -ddatadir=/path/to/set/"  to use that set not used by default.

Knut