trouble adding space between systems

From: Reilly Farrell
Subject: trouble adding space between systems
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 14:45:09 -0700

Hi All,

I've come to a point where I need manual control over the vertical spacing between musical systems.  The most prominent solution I've found seems not to be behaving as expected: no matter how I change the values in the \paper block, each configuration returns the same pdf.

Is there something I've missed in terms of properly integrating these lines?  Or is there a preferable alternative that any of you would recommend?

Example:

\header{
  title = "A scale in LilyPond"
}