Re: Remove all occurrencies of "0" fingerings

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Remove all occurrencies of "0" fingerings
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 10:15:22 +0200

Marc Hohl <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 08.08.2017 um 12:35 schrieb Thomas Morley:
> [...]
>> Hi Marc,
>>
>> your initial code had two problems, comments inline:
>>
>> \override Fingering.stencil =
>>    #(lambda (grob)
>>       (let* ((text (ly:grob-property grob 'text))
>>              (stencil (if (equal? text "0")
>>                           ;; to avoid the warning go for point-stencil
>>                           ;; not empty-stencil
>>                           point-stencil
>>                           ;; return a stencil yourself, don't call the
>>                           ;; property which is created by the stencil-prop
>>                           ;; it's a cycle and I'm somewhat surprised it
>> failed
>>                           ;; not more spectaculary
>>                           (ly:text-interface::print grob))))
>>             stencil))
>

> For the record: First, I used the solution with grob-transformer, but
> then I found out that removing the grob completely yields to problems
> with glissando lines between fingerings, so I switched to the solution
> given above.

Your description did not imply that you actually wanted to use that
point for positioning purposes.  However, I think glissandi are between
noteheads rather than fingerings.  It's conceivable that they try taking
fingerings into account in some manner: in that case, it would make
sense if they ignored empty stencils.

At any rate, it is sort of amusing that your choice between two complex
solutions hinges on whether they use point-stencil or empty-stencil
internally: interchanging those two is not all that hard.  At least
Thomas documented his solution better.

--
David Kastrup