Re: Marking up titles - font-name and italics

From: Daniel Cory
Subject: Re: Marking up titles - font-name and italics
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2017 01:35:24 -0400

Wow, you both really helped me there. I understand what is going on behind the scenes. I will have to try that when I get a chance. I also have a follow up question. Is there a way to adjust a text's tracking or kearning?

---- On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 01:30:16 -0400 Abraham Lee <address@hidden> wrote ----

Hi, Brian.

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 11:22 PM Brian Barker <address@hidden> wrote:
At 22:07 24/08/2017 -0700, Abraham Noname wrote:
>In order for \italic, \bold, etc. to work in a markup, what you need
>to do as add Arial as a font-family. The easiest way is to set it as
>one of the main global text fonts, like 'sans. If you are using
>2.18, then use make-pango-font-tree, as described here: [...]

Why not just \override #'(font-name . "Arial Italic") and no \italic ?

That definitely works. I was just trying to clear up the misconception surrounding what the OP thought \override #'(font-name . "Arial") was supposed to do. If that is really all that Daniel wanted to accomplish without the flexibility of being able to use the other font variants, then what you suggested is a perfectly acceptable  way to do that.

(I suggested this to the list, but - like most of my messages - it
was not posted.)

Hmmm... that is odd. Are you certain you are subscribed to the mailing list?

Best,
Abraham