Re: Laisser vibrer over silent bar

From: Robin Bannister
Subject: Re: Laisser vibrer over silent bar
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 21:38:11 +0200

Peter Toye wrote:

In the second one I'm not sure what the "<>" is doing. Is this an empty chord
to put a bit of space there or something?

We have filled the last bar with the spacer s1.
Lilypond errors the decrescendo if we don't stop it, e.g. with \!,

But \! attached to a note works at the start of that note.
So
   s1\!
would stop the decrescendo at the start of the last bar,
i.e. at the end of the previous bar.

To get the \! working later, you could use
   s2.. s8\!

To get \! working as late as possible, you could use
   s1 s1*0\!
where s1*0 is a spacer with zero duration,
and the \! works at the start of that zero duration.

In this situation <> has the same effect, providing a placeholder event.
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/single-voice#index-placeholder-events

In the regression tests it says:
Empty chords accept articulations, occupy no time, and leave the current duration unchanged.

Cheers,
Robin

P.S.
My mail reached you, but after 24h it still hasn't reached the list.