Re: Glissando in parentheses

From: Rodney Duplessis
Subject: Re: Glissando in parentheses
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 21:18:07 +0000

Hi Ben,

It does sound strange, I’ll admit. But I’m writing a string quartet and one of the performers asked for it to be notated that way after we discussed other options.
I’m still not sure whether it’s the best way or not, but I wanted to know if it was possible. Luckily, Malte Meyn’s solution seems to work as well as Thomas Morley’s.

To satisfy your curiosity, the intent is to have an unarticulated gliss. But I have other ideas about how that could be notated more clearly… they are long glisses with headless stems for pacing, and I’m thinking of just replacing the stems with rests where I don’t want the glass articulated. But if the performer insists on the parentheses, I now have a system to do that.

Thanks everyone,
Rodney DuPlessis