Re: LilyPond blog

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: LilyPond blog
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 11:09:19 +0200

Am 17.10.2017 um 04:15 schrieb Karlin High:
How about a regular feature like "Last Month in LilyPond?" Sometimes I
lose track of what's all happened in the development version, and why
it matters.
Am 17.10.2017 um 07:49 schrieb Jan-Peter Voigt:
Hi Karlin,

yes, such a periodic series of posts would be nice!

Indeed. Other than doing it on a monthly basis we could also have a series of posts for each  new release. I think this could either be written by a developer who is actually involved in following how the repository emerges - or maybe even better by an interested user. It shouldn't be that hard to learn making sense of logs like this: http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/lilypond.git/log/ toghether with some handholding from the developers.

Would you like to write such posts? Anyone else?
If there is activity on the blog we will find someone to maintain it.

That's only partially true, unfortunately. The main task of a "maintainer" is to actually recruit such activity. One option is to continually write posts, which I had done for quite some time. (Maybe that even kept some potential contributors away, I don't know.) But for the nature of this blog (and probably also for the community itself) it would be much better to have a number of regular plus numerous occasional (and even one-time) contributors. But to get people to contribute requires more or less permanent attention, and without at least one person taking over some responsibility (better two or three but rather not more) it will probably just not work.

Best
Urs

Jan-Peter