Re: Suggestions for page layout

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Suggestions for page layout
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 07:26:59 +0200 (CEST)

> Peter, I will also look at pdfbook to see how it compares to pdftk
> and whether that is more appropriate to incorporate.

Please note that unfortunately there is a high probability that pdftk
will soon be no longer part of common GNU/Linux distributions.

Reason is that this toolbox (written in C++) uses the `iText' library.
Its code is written in Java and gets converted with the Java frontend
of the GNU compiler collection, GCJ, to C++.  However, GCJ has been
removed from GCC; the last supported version is 6.4, and many
distributions are already switching to gcc version 7.

Besides this, pdftk itself seems to be unmaintained; the last release
was 2013.  And finally, the current iText library versions use a
license that distributions like Fedora don't accept, which means that
successor projects like mcpdf (https://github.com/m-click/mcpdf) won't
be accepted either.

A potential replacement is qpdf.

  http://qpdf.sourceforge.net/