Re: Multi-byte characters in Lyrics

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Multi-byte characters in Lyrics
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 10:18:39 +0200

Maurits Lamers <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>

>>> I cannot convert a multi-byte character to a symbol, unless I do some
>>> very inelegant hacks.
>>
>> Huh?  string->symbol works just fine.  So what do you mean when you say
>> "symbol"?
>
> This is partly because of a mistake on my end. I defined my braille
> dots lookup alist through symbols.
>
> brailleSymbols = #`(
>  (1 . 1)
>  (2 . 12)
>  (3 . 14)
>  (4 . 145)
> )

There is no symbol here whatsoever.

> etc...
> This required me to do a (char->symbol) in order for assoc-ref to
> return something.

That makes no sense.

>> I should really read mails to the end before coming up with code.
>
> I think I will use your solution instead of the other one, as it is
> much more elegant and easier to read and understand than the
> bitshifting variation.

Oh, bit shifting?  Probably for arriving at integers (rather than
characters)?  I was thinking of that but decided that sticking with
single-character strings was more likely to result in readable code.

Though I figured with some consternation that something like

"⁹" resulted in garbage being printed, so the readability does not
really extend to the output.

--
David Kastrup