Re: Problem with a font

From: Abraham Lee
Subject: Re: Problem with a font
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2018 09:23:07 -0600

Hi, Walter!

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 8:55 AM, Walter Garcia-Fontes <address@hidden> wrote:
* Thomas Morley, address@hidden [03/04/18 16:50]:
> Thanks, works now, although it was a little more difficult to install
> than usual, for unknown reason.
> I'm not an expert for fonts, so all I say here is by hearsay or simply guessing.
>
> That said, regarding the images you provided the printed '-sign is not
> the same in LilyPond and in LibreOffice.
> I seem to remember somebody explained that text-typesetting programs
> sometimes use a similiar font if a sign is not available.
>
> Similar for bold, italic, bold-italic: if the font doesn't contain
> them the program scales it.
>
> In LibreOffice doing bold and font-size 60 prints ugly as well with Escolar2.
>
> So I think the font itself is buggy.

Yes, that is what I'm also suspecting, but in any case in LibreOffice
the font gives less problems than in Lilypond. Most likely LO has more
features to deal with this type of fonts, being a word-processing
package.

Too bad I can't convince my costumer to use something else, let's see
what I can do.

I took at a look at the internals of the font and you're not seeing anything unintended (unfortunately). The single ASCII apostrophe is set abnormally low compared to most any other font out there, which is why it looks vertically offset by LilyPond. In LibreOffice and other word-processors, when the user hits the button on the keyboard for the ASCII apostrophe (same goes for quotation marks), the ASCII character gets replaced by the true (curly) typographic apostrophe, which is set in the more appropriate vertical position. Could be just an oversight or it could be intentional. I'm not sure, but from what I am seeing, it's a "feature" of the font and nothing that LilyPond is doing wrong. The obvious alternative is to use typographic aposotrophes/quotation marks in your source file and the problem should go away, appearing just like in LibreOffice.

Hope that helps,
Abraham