Re: tag and default

From: Gianmaria Lari
Subject: Re: tag and default
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 12:52:55 +0200

On 12 April 2018 at 11:42, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
Gianmaria Lari <address@hidden> writes:

> This code ...
>
> \version "2.19.81"
> var = {
>   \tag #'mya {a}
>   \tag #'myb {b}
> }
>
> { \keepWithTag #'mya \var }
> { \keepWithTag #'myb \var }
> { \var}
>
> creates three scores:
>
> 1) a
> 2) b
> 3) a b
>
> In the third case, where no \keepWithTag is specified, lilypond returns all
> elements (a and b).
>
> Is there any way to make lilypond returning only one element (a sort of
> default element) and not all the elements IF I don't specify any
> \keepWithTag?

What are you trying to do?  Basically you are asking whether you can
make LilyPond do something different without telling it to make
something different.

You will need to provide more details of just what you want to be
providing via which channels and what not in order to have people figure
out what would better meet your requirement than just writing
\keepWithTag when you want it.

1) If it seemed I was complaining about lilypond behavior my apologies, not at all.
2) I paid much attention writing my question but, again my apologies, it was not clear.

Let me try again with a different example.

Sometimes I have an excerpt of music that occurs multiple time in a piece. It occurs identically in many place except at the end of the score where the last note of the excerpt should be a pause (it is just an example). Without tag I would do something like this:

excerpt  = {a b c' d'}
excerptB = {a b c' r}
{
 % .... some music
 \excerpt

 % .... some music
 \excerpt

 % .... some music
 \excerptB
}

If I want to write the same thing with tag I would write:

\version "2.19.81"
excerpt  = {
  a b c'
    \tag #'withd d'
    \tag #'withr r
}

{
 % .... some music
 \keepWithTag #'withd \excerpt

 % .... some music
 \keepWithTag #'withd \excerpt

 % .... some music
 \keepWithTag #'withr \excerpt
}

This is ok.

Is there any way to obtain the same thing writing:

{
 % .... some music
\excerpt

 % .... some music