Re: Intervals enharmony question

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Intervals enharmony question
Date: Tue, 01 May 2018 10:34:28 +0200

Hans Åberg <address@hidden> writes:

>> On 1 May 2018, at 00:42, J Martin Rushton
>
>> For a lot of earlier music it can be difficult to know if "flauto" is a
>> flauto dolce (sweet flute - recorder) or a flauto transvero (sp?).

More like flauto traverso.  The terminal "o" makes obvious that we are
talking about Italian rather than Latin, and "trans" did not retain all
of its letters there.

> It was a claim about J.S. Bach, who seemed to favor more expressive
> instruments. But performers of recorders are nowadays good.

Paid performers.  Recorder performances are a thing in primary school
contexts already.

I remember some performance from secondary school where a pair of prim
girls were playing, I think, a duet on soprano recorder (I don't even
think an alto was involved) from some booklet, with the intonation to be
expected and everybody clapped politely.  The proceeded to WHEEEEEEEE
blow out their mouthpieces, then played another piece.  WHEEEEEEE.  And
another.  WHEEEEEEE.  I think they proceeded to murder the whole
booklet.  WHEEEEEEE.  Probably not more than 20 pieces or so.  WHEEEEEE.

--
David Kastrup