Re: Making TextLength ignore some notes.

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Making TextLength ignore some notes.
Date: Tue, 01 May 2018 09:53:26 +0100

Thank you for your generous reply.

I am surprised that you think that newcomers (or anybody else) find the
list unwelcoming.  I have always been amazed by the willingness of a
few list members to provide detailed replies, and have rarely read
anything that appeared to be unwelcoming.

I take your point that I myself am probably capable of answering some
of the simpler queries; this is something I have very occasionally done
and shall endeavour to do perhaps more frequently in the future.  But
as I receive digests rather than individual posts to the list, it is
often the case that the alacrity of other members has meant that the
question is answered even before I see it.  I did once try changing my
list settings to receive each separate post, but found it unmanageable:
even with the digest, there are often quite a number of emails in one
day: last Thursday there were 15 digests containing 67 separate
messages, though I admit that that was exceptional.

So once again, thanks again for your kind remarks; and thanks to you
and all the other list members who rarely, if ever, resort to RTFM, and
who never tell anybody to stop asking stupid questions - even in this
case, where my question really was pretty stupid!

David