Tempo & Markup

From: foxfanfare
Subject: Tempo & Markup
Date: Fri, 4 May 2018 04:34:11 -0700 (MST)

Hi everyone, I currently try to change the default appearance of the \tempo command. I'm particularly interested in changing the metronome text. I can do this in a \markup command:
\version "2.19.81"

\relative {
  \tempo "Presto" 2 = 76-84
  R1 \break
  \tempo \markup { "Presto"
                       \hspace #0.25 \fontsize #-1 \medium \concat {
                         \raise #0.4 \fontsize #-2 \note-by-number #1 #0 #0.85
                         \hspace #0.5
                         "="
                         \hspace #0.2 \bold
                         76 \hspace #0.1 - \hspace #0.1
                         \bold 84 } }

\layout {
  ragged-right = ##t
}
But I was wondering if I could be able to write a small function for it. Is it possible to change the default command "2 = 76-84" so it will take my own markup preferences?