Re: fingering notation alternative

From: Ralph Palmer
Subject: Re: fingering notation alternative
Date: Sat, 05 May 2018 15:09:54 +0000

On Sat, May 5, 2018, 7:35 AM Gianmaria Lari <address@hidden> wrote:
This is more a notation question than a lilypond question.

Does exist a standard fingering notation to indicate that a note can be played for example with 2 or 3? I normally write

\finger "2(3)"
or

\finger "2/3"

but I'm not sure this is correct.

I think I've usually seen, for a single note, the "primary", or preferred, fingering on top, with the second fingering directly below :

2
3

That's what I've seen, especially in exercise and etude books, and what I've used in transcribing them. I've also seen, for a single note, one fingering above the staff and another below the staff.

HTH,

Ralph

Ralph Palmer
Brattleboro, VT